The Division of Social Sciences and Education seeks a dynamic, collaborative and student-centered full-time faculty member to join the division, to teach in the field of African-American history with the ability to also teach survey courses in the history of the United States. The Division of Social Sciences and Education currently offers two pathways: one in Education and another in Social Science and Criminal Justice. The latter contains a Social Sciences program where students can focus their interests within a specific social sciences discipline. Our division’s courses are responsible for measuring General Education objectives in global competency and critical thinking, among others. Our faculty seeks to provide a challenging curriculum that fosters disciplinary and interdisciplinary thinking in ways that meet our students where they are and build confidence and ability. As a college with significant student diversity in ethnicity, age, and personal experience we require faculty to develop an inclusive curriculum that promotes critical thinking and empathy.
The incumbent will be required to participate in college and/or community service, and will also be tasked with exploring the integration of high-impact practices into the history curriculum, in collaboration with the HCC Division of Academic Engagement. Daytime, evening, and weekend courses are taught at HCC across all platforms: face-to-face, online and hybrid. We are looking for a colleague with the ability to engage students and to instruct using a range of teaching methods and pedagogies.
- The successful candidate will teach 30 credit hours of history courses per year (fall and spring semesters) and provide a minimum of five office hours for student interaction per week during fall and spring semesters.
- Other responsibilities include but are not limited to design, development, and assessment of course and program content.
- All full-time faculty participate in college service, for example by serving on departmental and college committees and supporting initiatives that meet the division’s core work.
- All faculty make themselves available to advise students on program requirements.
- A full list of faculty responsibilities can be found at https://www.howardcc.edu/about-us/policies-procedures/chapter-10/10.01.02-Faculty-Responsibilities.html
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; Hours vary based on course schedule
Compensation: Starting salary ranging from $49,167 – $68,750, commensurate with experience plus excellent medical &dental insurances, sick leave, and tuition reimbursement
Grade: Full Time 10 month Faculty
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: April 23, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
This position reports daily at our campus in Columbia, MD and does not offer relocation benefits. Candidates must live in the commutable area or relocate at their own expense.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college’s application in full)
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (Max 1 page)
- Unofficial or official transcripts
Click HERE for more information and to apply.
Date Posted: April 12, 2021