The English Department at California State University, Los Angeles is hiring an Assistant Professor of African American Literature. We seek a colleague committed to exploring the intersections of scholarly work, lived experience, and community engagement.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to contribute to the department’s emergent Engaged English initiative; will teach lower-division, upper-division, and graduate courses in the department; and will design new courses in their area of expertise. They will join the faculty of Cal State LA’s College of Arts and Letters, which fosters interdisciplinary work that impacts the campus and its communities through entities such as the American Communities Program, The Center for Contemporary Poetry and Poetics, the Center for the Study of Genders and Sexualities, and the Prison Graduation Initiative.
1) An earned doctorate (Ph.D) in English or closely-related discipline from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required. Applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, the doctorate must be completed by the date of appointment (8/18/22).
2) Evidence of successful teaching experience at the undergraduate level.
3) Evidence of scholarly activity in the field of African American Literature.
1) Evidence of successful teaching experience in African American Literature.
2) Evidence of work in and/or commitment to community engagement and social justice.
3) Evidence of secondary interests in one or more of the following fields: action research, community-based research, creative writing, critical race theory, gender and sexuality studies, transatlantic studies.
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. The complete position announcement may be viewed at https://www.calstatela.edu/
Application deadline: November 1, 2021
Date posted: October 12, 2021