The California State University, Dominguez Hills Department of Africana Studies is hiring an Assistant Professor of Africana Studies with a specialty in Global Africana Literatures (African, African American, Afro-Caribbean/Latinx literature). The successful candidate will teach undergraduate Africana literature courses for our BA degree program.
The successful candidate will teach literature courses in Africana Studies in both the major and general education, as well as develop courses in her/his/their area of specialization. Additional responsibilities include student advising and mentoring, curriculum and program development, participation in departmental, college and university committees and active involvement in research and scholarly activities.
• A Ph.D. in hand at the time of appointment. Well-qualified doctoral candidates/ABDs must indicate their anticipated degree completion date. Candidates with degrees in Africana Studies, African American Studies, African Studies, African Diaspora Studies or related fields with demonstrated teaching experience, publications and/or graduate coursework in Global Africana Literatures (African, African American and Afro-Caribbean/Latinx literatures) are encouraged to apply.
• The candidate must be able to teach literature utilizing an African Diaspora, decolonial and transnational lens and be able to teach at least one of the following courses: Harlem Renaissance, Africana Literary Traditions, and Africana Literature and Culture while developing new curriculum in their applicant’s area of expertise. A strong background in Africana theories and methods, critical race theory, Africana womanism and decolonial theory is required.
• Evidence of a promising research programs likely leading to publication in the area of expertise.
• Applicants must have experience in teaching undergraduates from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
Preferred /Desired Qualifications(in addition to the above)
• Expertise in at least one of the following areas of specialization: media studies (film, social media, television) and Africana popular culture analysis (art, music, etc.) and the ability to teach Introduction to Hip Hop and/or Africana Art and Culture.
• Demonstrated experience in community engagement, outreach and/or social justice activism with an emphasis on organizing, supervising and mentoring students in community-based internship experiences.
• Two years of teaching experience and a demonstrated record of service.
• Demonstrated record of publication in area of expertise.
To apply, visit our Job Opportunities page at https://www.csudh.edu/hr/job-