The Department of Religious Studies and the Black Study Initiative at the University of California, Riverside invite applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Religious Studies and Black Study. The ideal candidate will be firmly grounded in both religious studies and Black study, as the position is intended to be jointly appointed with UCR’s planned new Department of Black Study. Engaging through multiple disciplines and methodologies, Black Study critically addresses and seeks to overcome all forms of anti-Blackness while imagining and prefiguring an altogether new world by deeply engaging Black epistemologies in the African continent and its diasporas. Religious Studies is an established and collaborative department with an increasingly prominent graduate program and a deep commitment to fostering a supportive and justice-oriented environment for our faculty, staff, and students; it seeks to build on those strengths with every hire. Thanks to a grant from the UC Office of the President, this position has significant funding for early-career research and professional development.
Duties include teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in both departments (course load is currently four courses per year on the quarter system), graduate student supervision and mentoring, research and the dissemination of research appropriate to a research university setting, and service.
Education and demonstrated experience:
- Minimum basic qualifications (must be met by time of application): ABD in Religious Studies or a related field, evidence of Excellence in research and teaching, and thorough grounding in both religious studies, with focus on the US, and Black study
- Additional qualifications (must be met by start date): PhD in hand or all requirements completed for the PhD
- Preferred qualifications: Educational background in Black Study or a related field
- Cover letter
- One-page (single-spaced) statement of research interests, accomplishments, and future plans
- One-page (single-spaced) statement of past and/or planned future contributions to advancing diversity and inclusive excellence
- Teaching portfolio consisting of a one-page (single-spaced) statement of teaching philosophy, 1-2 sample syllabi, and recent teaching evaluations from 2-3 courses
- Writing sample or excerpt of no more than 30 manuscript pages or 25 published pages
- 3 confidential letters of reference will be solicited through the AP Recruit system at the time of application. Only completed applications that include letters of reference will be reviewed by the committee.
Applications and materials will be submitted using UCR’s online application system located at https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/JPF01471
Applicants who use Interfolio may utilize a feature provided by the Interfolio Service to allow Interfolio to upload their letters directly into AP Recruit. Applicants can input an Interfolio-generated email address in place of their letter writer’s email address. Interfolio refers to this as Online Application Deliveries. The following link on the Interfolio website shows how to set this up (https://support.interfolio.com/).
To ensure full consideration, applications and supporting material should be received by Saturday, November 20, 2021. The position may remain open until the position is filled.
Advancement through the faculty ranks at the University of California is through a series of structured, merit-based evaluations, occurring every 2-3 years, each of which includes substantial peer input.
For more information about the position, please contact the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Amanda Lucia, Department of Religious Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
- Excellence in research and teaching
- Thorough grounding in both religious studies, with focus on the US, and Black study
UCR is a world-class research University with an exceptionally diverse undergraduate student body. Its mission is explicitly linked to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students. A commitment to this mission is a preferred qualification.
Application deadline: November 20, 2021
Date posted: November 9, 2021