- This event has passed.
2022 Community Media Awards – Virtual
May 12 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm CDT
Join us virtually on May 12, 2022, for the 27th Annual Studs Terkel Community Media Awards!
Begun in 1994, the Community Media Awards honor storytelling that centers Chicago’s people. This is a night for community leaders, advocates, journalists and Public Narrative partners to come together and celebrate the stories that made a difference in our lives.
The Studs Terkel Award is given to Chicago reporters, editors, producers, videographers and photographers who exemplify the values of Studs Terkel’s journalism, by taking risks in covering social issues.
The Uplifting Voices Award honors an individual—journalist or otherwise—who elevates the voices of people in Chicago communities.
The Ripple Effect Award is granted to a journalist anywhere in the U.S. whose work has had an impact in Chicago and beyond.
Winners of the 2022 Community Media Awards
The winners of the 2022 Studs Terkel Award are:
- Bob Black, Photojournalist, formerly Chicago Sun-Times & Chicago Defender
- Maya Dukmasova, Senior Reporter, Injustice Watch
- Jacqueline Serrato, Barrio Journalist & Editor-in-Chief, South Side Weekly
- María Inés Zamudio, Reporter, WBEZ
The winner of the 2022 Uplifting Voices Award is:
- Shermann “Dilla” Thomas, Chicago Urban Historian & CEO of Chicago Mahogany Tours
The winner of the 2022 Ripple Effect Award is:
- Michelle Duster, Author, Professor and Public Historian
Donations & Sponsorship
There’s no ticket cost for the Community Media Awards this year, which means more people will be able to attend. But that also means we’re relying on the support of those who are able to pay to make it happen. If you’re one of those people, you can support us in one of two ways:
- Click here to make an online donation in any amount.
- Click here to learn more about becoming an event sponsor.
Your contribution will enable us to keep offering community-engaged events, resources and training—and continue to honor people-centered journalism for years to come.
Public Narrative is a registered 501(c)3. Half of our revenue is generated through our work. The rest depends on foundations, and people like you.
Go to www.publicnarrative.org to learn more.