- This event has passed.
Howard University Social Justice Week 2021
August 2 @ 8:00 am - August 6 @ 5:00 pm EDT
Howard University’s Social Justice Consortium is hosting its first annual Social Justice Week August 2-6th on Zoom.
The Howard University Social Justice Consortium (SJC) is a cross-organizational, cross-institutional, interdisciplinary partnership that is concerned with educating society and developing the critical consciousness people need to analyze injustice in their own communities and develop innovative and collaborative action-oriented remedies.
Howard University is hosting its first annual Social Justice Week on August 2-6th on Zoom. For one week we will have community and academic panels, speakers, art exhibits, workshops, and testimonies on the theme of Criminal Justice Reform.
Special guests will include Jerry Blackwell, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Tamika Mallory and Until Freedom, Dr. Yusef Salaam (One of the Central Park 5), the Mothers of the Movement, and local activists Tony Lewis and Angel Gregorio.
- Monday, August 2nd will focus on the theme Perceptions, Policing and Impact and will begin early with an opening address by Honorable Ras Baraka, Mayor of Newark, New Jersey at 10:00 a.m. That will be followed by a panel entitled “Refund the People,” which will focus on the ways state and local funds could be redirected from policing and into community programs. The day will culminate with a panel featuring Mothers of the Movement, including Sabrina Fulton (mother of Trayvon Martin) and Tamika Palmer (Mother of Breonna Taylor).
- Tuesday, August 3rd will focus on the theme “Mass Incarceration and Resilience” and will feature the testimonies and insights from those who survived the system and are well-positioned to critique it.
- Wednesday, August 4th will focus on the theme “Law and Justice” and will feature a panel of Howard University Law school professors who will discuss policing and trauma and a feminist critique of policing stops. Another panel will focus on disfranchisement of formerly incarcerated people in Texas. It will feature Dr. Carla Brailey, the Vice Chair of the Texas Democratic Party and Harris County Commissioner, Rodney Ellis.
- Thursday, August 5th will focus on the theme Local, National and Global Activism and will feature local activists and advocates plus Tamika Mallory and Until Freedom, the Innocence Project, and two men of the Exonerated Five (Central Park 5).
- Friday, August 6th, the final day of Social Justice Week, will focus on the theme Criminal Justice Advocacy in Action and Jerry Blackwell will be the keynote speaker at 6:30p.m.