The Department of History at Colorado State University invites applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Public History. The successful candidate must show evidence of teaching, scholarship, and/or public history practices that incorporate methodologies in digital history and/or new media. The research field is open; desirable specializations include: public lands, Indigenous history, sites of conscience, or environmental history. The department has been a pioneer in public history and is especially interested in receiving applications from candidates who can teach broadly within public history at both the undergraduate and graduate level. This is an entry-level position beginning August 16, 2018. The successful candidate will be appointed untenured at the rank of assistant professor.
– Teaching undergraduate courses and graduate courses in public history and in the area(s) of the applicant’s research specialization
– Teaching one of the department’s survey courses (western civilization, world, or U.S. history)
– Advising and mentoring graduate students in public history and the areas(s) of the applicant’s research specialization
– Outreach to communities and public history professionals
– Maintaining an active practice in public history
– Meeting scholarship and publication requirements for tenure and promotion
Applications Must Include:
– Letter of interest
– Curriculum vitae
– Graduate transcripts
– Three letters of recommendation
– A writing sample (article or chapter length)
– A piece of digital scholarship or teaching, or a new media project. To submit this, please provide a hyperlink to the piece/project. Online links should be embedded in a Word document separate from other submission materials and should be accessible by direct link (i.e. no further registration is required)
– Evidence of teaching effectiveness, such as sample syllabi and teaching evaluations if available
Routine inquiries should be directed to Ms. Nancy Rehe, Department of History, Colorado State University Telephone: (970) 491-6334 Email: Nancy.Rehe@colostate.edu. Application materials of semifinalist candidates, including letters of reference, will be made available for review by departmental faculty. Applications will be considered until the position is filled; however, for full consideration, applications must be complete by October 20, 2017. Please note that a complete application consists of the requested materials and three letters of reference. Your referees will be emailed a request for a letter of reference immediately upon submission of your application. Please inform your referees that letters should be submitted by October 20, 2017.