Gilcrease Museum is in the process of building a new museum to better serve its collections and its community. An integral part of this new institution will be a two-floor exhibition that, focusing primarily on visual culture, seeks to tell the rich, diverse, complex history of America, drawing primarily upon the art, archival, and anthropology collections of the Gilcrease. There is a team of Gilcrease curators, fellows, and staff working on the exhibition, and the Consulting Curator will play an essential role as part of this team. The museum wants to ensure that the history of African Americans in the United States, specifically in Oklahoma and Tulsa, is well represented.
This position reports to the Gilcrease Senior Curator and is a contract position for the period July 1 – December 23, 2021.
- Review the existing content outline and floor plans to identify opportunities to include African American stories and perspectives among the key stories being foregrounded
- Explore the objects within the Gilcrease collection to identify those that could represent African American art, culture, and history in the opening exhibition and future rotations of the exhibition.
- Identify potential acquisitions or strategic loans related to African American art, culture, and history to fill gaps in the Gilcrease collections so the museum is better able to present African American stories and perspectives.
- Work with relevant curatorial leads to include African American histories or perspectives in the galleries
- Partner with the Senior Curator and Curator of Indigenous Art and Culture to review suggestions for the exhibition from the curatorial and interpretive planning teams and then present these suggestions to the Executive Director
- With the Senior Curator and Curator of Indigenous Art and Culture, convey exhibition ideas approved by the Executive Director to Gallagher & Associates and participate in the design process and review
- Provide content and ‘raw’ information via bullet points to complete the exhibition text outline and inform future scriptwriting (scriptwriting by others)
- Review draft script as required
Expertise in African American art and history; knowledge of Oklahoma history preferred. Proven research experience and knowledge of art historical research methods. Ability to work as part of a diverse team of experts to help achieve a common goal required. Must have excellent writing skills. Ability to both independently manage a project and to work effectively in a team; possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Must be detail-oriented, self-driven. Proficient in PC or Mac software applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Curatorial/exhibition experience preferred.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, writing sample (either published or unpublished material), and contact information for three references to:
Gilcrease Museum, Attention: Administration,
1400 N Gilcrease Museum Road, Tulsa, OK 74127
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review of applications will commence immediately and will continue until July 9, 2021.
Date Posted: June 10, 2021