The Department of Africana and American Studies at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking distinguished scholars at the rank of Full Professor, to serve as Department Chair. Candidates at the rank of Associate Professor with a profile indicative of ready promotion to Full Professor will be considered. This is an exciting opportunity and time to be at the University at Buffalo as the University has planned significant new investments in this area. Consequently, the Department Chair will be in a position to build the visibility, impact, reach, and stature of an already well-known department and College in the surrounding communities and beyond through new resources for hiring additional scholars.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for the Arts and Humanities, the Department Chair of Africana and American Studies, in addition to managing its degree programs for growth in enrollment in the department, will teach in the program, lead faculty in curriculum development, cultivate and carry out annual programming for students and faculty, complete programmatic assessments, work with affiliate faculty across campus to grow interdisciplinary research and teaching, and work with the Dean’s Office to improve its national stature, promote the African American Studies Program and enhance its Global Blackness perspective.
The Department Chair will lead by fostering a professional ecosystem that is grounded in a culture of inclusion, engagement, and participation for staff and faculty at all levels of their careers. The Department Chair will also have a central role in creating department strategy that attracts talented scholars to work at the University at Buffalo and will be given a substantial budget to grow faculty ranks.
The Department Chair will be a proactive leader with an ability to build bridges and foster a collaborative and cohesive department environment. A natural collaborator, they will demonstrate excellent consensus building skills with an ability to work across a range of interests and activities at the College, University and community levels. The Department Chair will collaborate and consult with faculty, deans, department chairs, and institute leaders to identify academic opportunities that expand and deepen the department’s impact at the university, on student success, and within the region.
UB is strongly committed to fostering excellence through diversity and enthusiastically welcomes nominations and applications from members of groups that have been, and continue to be, underrepresented in academia. We are looking for candidates whose work bridges disciplinary, geographic, and cultural divisions in the historic and contemporary African Diaspora as well as in the African American experience understood in a hemispheric and transnational context.
The Department Chair at University at Buffalo will possess many or most of the following attributes and competencies:
- Academic record and credentials that qualify the candidate for the rank of Full Professor in Buffalo’s faculty. Senior Associate Professors with comparable records and credentials may also apply.
- An earned doctorate in any field of Arts and Sciences with experience working in or with an African American Studies department or program. The candidate must have a successful record of scholarship related to the study of Black, African, or African American culture, history, or relevant research.
- Distinguished academic career with nationally and internationally recognized contributions.
- Demonstrated commitment and alignment with the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, advocacy, and social and economic justice.
- Successful administrative and operational experience with teaching, research, budget management, and administration in university settings.
- The gravitas, drive, scholarship, and professional credibility to earn the trust of internal and external partners.
- An orientation for supporting and mentoring colleagues in ways that relate to their specific interests and championing their success.
- Innovative, solutions-oriented approaches to change management.
- Demonstrated managerial experience with leading, coaching, and mentoring teams, faculty, instructors, and staff.
- Strong commitment for building inclusive communities and driving diversification of a department, school, and university community, especially with regard to women and under-represented students, staff, and faculty.
- Demonstrable commitment to sustaining and developing high-quality student experiences and promoting remarkable student success.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills that engender confidence, build trust, and display respect.
- Ability to find creative solutions to conflicts and an ability to build consensus around new ideas and initiatives.
- Strong time management, organizational, and fiscal skills, and abilities.
For more information and to apply: https://koyapartners.com/search/suny-department-chair-for-africana-and-american-studies/
Date posted: September 28, 2021