The Count Basie Center for the Arts, in the ever-growing and beautiful downtown Red Bank, New Jersey, is seeking a
highly motivated, creative, and experienced Education and Outreach Associate / Teaching Artist to support the
department’s Academy classes and educational outreach efforts throughout the region.
Founded in 1926, The Count Basie Center for the Arts is New Jersey’s premier center for the cultural arts, dedicated to
fostering powerful, inclusive artistic experiences and creative exchange of ideas.
The Basie mission is to inspire, educate and entertain through its distinct and engaging cultural and artistic offerings that
reflect the diversity of the region. As a nonprofit organization, the Basie is committed to enriching the community’s quality
of life by generating opportunities for participation in the arts, partnering with schools, collaborating with other mission-
based organizations, and driving regional economic prosperity.
At the Count Basie Center for the Arts, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people
want to come, to stay and do their best work. Our continued pledge to deepen our commitment to cultural competency, racial equity and social inclusion is at the heart of our mission as a nonprofit.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Education, the Education & Outreach Associate / Teaching Artist will
teach education & outreach classes and provide administrative support that aligns with their teaching efforts. This is a full-
time exempt position in the Count Basie Center Department of Education. This position is eligible for the Basie’s
competitive benefits package that includes paid time off (personal, sick and vacation), insurance (health, dental, vision,
life, long and short-term disability) and a 401(k)-retirement plan.
The key responsibilities are as follows:
Coordinate outreach efforts, schedules, and payroll for:
- Curtains Up for Kids school show program
- Partnerships between schools and regional organizations for the mindALIGNED initiative
- Kennedy Center Partners in Education program
- Basie Teaching Artist presentations and/or school assemblies
Administer department activities related to:
- Awards and celebrations programs (Basie Awards, Arts Impact Scholarship(s), Poetry Out Loud,
- Basie Academy of the Arts (supporting the registration process and software, managing
calendars and class schedules, classroom set up and interfacing with parents and students)
- Education Committee meetings and events
Teach relevant and applicable:
- Basie Academy of the Arts classes/camps
- Outreach classes/workshops/residencies in schools and the community
- Must be available for special events, nights and weekends as needed for organizational and education events
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (or relevant experience).
- The ideal candidate will have previous Teaching Artist experience, and a background/experience in the field of
education and/or arts administration.
- Experience in creative and arts-based pedagogy and practices and/or arts integration
- Knowledge of and experience with NJ Student Learning Standards, National Core Arts Standards and/or
experience with social emotional learning framework(s)
- Experience in Anti-Racist Education, Restorative Justice, and/or culturally responsive pedagogy a desirable
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, and interact with patrons,
students, teachers, parents, and community members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high emphasis on customer service.
- Detail oriented, self-starter, with strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task
and perform job responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Must be a team player and be able to work in a fast-paced environment and across departments.
- Skills in database management and all Microsoft Office Suite products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access,
- Strong work ethic, team player, creative and proactive thinking, and a positive attitude.
- Bilingual a plus
Applicants should forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and list of references to: Ann Marie Keenan,
Human Resources Director, at email@example.com.