This position is located in Northeast Regional Office, in the Cultural Resources Division. This position provides technical and professional support to implement programs and preservation activities with the National Underground Railroad Network (NTF) to Freedom Act of 1998.
TERM positions do not convey permanent status in the Federal service and will be for a period not to exceed thirteen months, with possible extensions up to a total of four years without further competition.
As a Historian GS-0170-12, you will:
- Provide professional and technical assistance as an expert in African American History, Black American History, and African Diaspora History to cooperators.
- Use this expertise to assist cooperators to identify and research potential Network to Freedom/Underground Railroad (NTF) sites, develop NTF applications, develop educational and preservation programs at member sites, and support grant applicants.
- Guide and collaborate with cooperators and State Historic Preservation Offices to establish standards for verifying Underground Railroad associations and determining eligibility for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Participate in the National Network to Freedom (NTF) coordinator group, including review of service wide NTF membership applications and grant applications, and development of strategic plans, interpretive materials, action plans, and fiscal and budget documents related to the NTF and its projects.
- Develop and manage research and planning projects accomplished through contracts, interagency agreements, and cooperative agreements.
- Facilitate partnerships with community-based groups, state agencies, and other federal agencies.
- Develop, coordinate, and carry out state and regional workshops, conferences, and training sessions to provide opportunities for collaboration and cooperator development.
- Develop a framework for Underground Railroad interpretation in the region and assist interpreters and park managers in developing Underground Railroad programming and curricula.