The Department of African American Studies at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for the combined position of Post-Doctoral Fellow and tenure-track Assistant Professor of African American Performance Studies with a focus on music. The appointment will begin in Fall 2021 with a one-year post-doctoral fellowship as ACLS Visiting Faculty and will continue in Fall 2022 with the tenure-track position. The first year of the tenure tack appointment will carry the title ACLS Distinguished Assistant Professor.
• Ph.D. in African American Studies, Ethnic Studies, American Studies, Ethnomusicology, Performance Studies or a related field. ABDs must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date
• Specialization in African American Music and/or Performance Theory
• Demonstrated experience and interest in topics related to a broad historical view of African American cultural theory and social relations
• Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college or university level
• A strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
• Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
• Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues and community
• Demonstrated contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and service
• Demonstrated commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching of a very diverse student population, including first generation college students
• Experience in Comparative Ethnic Studies
• Familiarity with other performance subdisciplines (i.e. Theater, Film, and Dance).
A complete online application must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/