PROGRAM AND EDUCATION COORDINATOR POSITION
Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum
Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland
Morgan State University, a historically black university (HBCU) in Baltimore, Maryland, is seeking an experienced Education Coordinator for the Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum (LCJM), Morgan State’s premier civil rights museum dedicated to the work of Lillie Carroll Jackson and her allies. LCJM is the historical extension of Morgan State University’s history and museum studies academic programs. LCJM seeks an Education Coordinator, who will schedule school visits, lead public programs and museum tours, develop educational programs, lead the docents training program and facilitate partnerships with Baltimore City Public Schools. Additionally, the Education Coordinator will develop and implement a programmatic curriculum related to Baltimore’s civil rights leadership history and the contributions of Lillie Carroll Jackson and her allies with the primary target audience being the middle and high school population in the Baltimore City Public School system. This is a grant-funded three-year position.
– Bachelor’s Degree in education, museum studies or history or related fields (Master’s Degree preferred)
– Considerable knowledge of African American history and culture, Maryland history, particularly Baltimore history a plus
– At least 1 year of museum experience or other cultural institution
– At least 1 year of staff supervision experience
– Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of programs and make recommendations for improvements
– Preserve, Promote and protect LCJM’s collection of historical artifacts and materials
– Schedule, lead and implement school visits, public programs and museum tours
– Develop and implement a programmatic curriculum related to Baltimore’s civil rights history and the contributions of Lillie Carroll Jackson and her allies
– Lead the LCJM’s Docents Training Program, manage and supervise docents
All other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Candidate should be a self-starter, problem solver, team player, and possess an “entrepreneurial” spirit
– Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with a friendly and outgoing personality
– Familiarity with database/cataloging software, including Past Perfect
– Ability to mentor and supervise both undergraduate and graduate students as docents and interns, as well as community volunteers
– Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, faculty, administrators and museum partners
– Ability to attend evening and weekend meetings and engagements and maintain regular Saturday hours.
How to Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org Place LCJM Education Coordinator position in the subject line and attach the following items; cover letter, resume, or a
curriculum vita, and three professional references including their contact information.
Position open until filled.