The University of the South seeks a Senior Research Associate to participate i n research, publishing, and programming for the Roberson Project on Slavery, Race, and Reconciliation. This i s a 2.5 year term position, commencing about February 1, 2021 and ending June 30, 2023. Applicants should have completed all requirements for the doctorate by the time the appointment starts. Apply online; the application review begins on December 1, 2020, and the job closes on January 1, 2021.
The Research Associate will assist the Roberson Project in its efforts to compile and publish research about the University of the South’s history with slavery and its legacies, from the 1850s through the twentieth century. The Associate will work closely with and support an interdisciplinary team of Sewanee scholars and students, conduct archival and genealogical research, and assist i n the development of programming, including projects i n digital humanities and community-driven archiving. The Associate also will provide administrative assistance to the Project, including supervising projects of graduate theology and undergraduate students.
● Completion of PhD (no more than five years prior to position start date)
● Advanced research experience i n U.S. and African American history
● Experience teaching i n traditional, non-traditional, and workshop settings
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Familiarity with movement of universities studying their entanglements with slavery and its legacies
● Experience i n the theory and practice of public history
● Study of and experience/training i n digital humanities
● Experience with community engagement or restorative justice work
● Experience i n genealogical research
Contact information is:
The University of the South i s an equal opportunity educational institution that i s committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.