Under general supervision, the Collections Specialist oversees the management program for all artifacts contained in the Casemate Museum in addition to other objects located in and around Fort Monroe. The Collections Specialist oversees all activities related to the care and documentation of the museum´s objects consisting of textiles, metal and other materials. The Collections Specialist is responsible for the accountability of over 3,000 artifacts consisting of clothing, uniforms, military equipment, art works, historic signage, munitions and weapons. This work includes the processes of acquisitions, accessions, inventorying, conservation, preservation and general collections care in accordance with museum professional standards. The Collections Specialist will work closely with the FMA Archivist in coordinating accessioning processes and developing collection management policies.
• Conducts accessioning, cataloging, and prepares other documentation of collections
• Develops scopes of work for appraisal, cataloging, and other documentation activities
• Develops and conducts inventory control procedures
• Manages collection databases and other computer records
• Develops and implements a comprehensive, systematic collections management program
• Provides Director of MEI advice on museum collection storage techniques and practices
• Performs all other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in history, public history, or museum studies. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of working with artifact collections. Experience with military collections a plus.
Or combination of Education and Experience
Salary – $44,320 – $49,860 annually
The Fort Monroe Authority is an EEOC compliant employer.
This posting will be posted as open until filled. If interested, please apply at Indeed.com. Resume and cover letter must be submitted to be considered for this position.