Dr. Carter G. Woodson directed ASALH’s operations from his home located at 1538 Ninth Street, NW, Washington, DC, from 1922 until his death in 1950, and ASALH was headquartered in the building until 1970. The house was the center for educating the nation’s history and culture. Working out of this building, Dr.Woodson managed ASALH’s day-to-day operations, published periodicals (the Negro History Bulletin and the Journal of Negro History), operated a book publishing company (Associated Publishers), trained researchers and educators, and pursued his own research and writing about African American history.
Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for its national significance in African American cultural heritage. The ceremony was held at the home on October 16, 1977. (Ms. Willie Miles and Ms. Nerissa L. Milton unveiled the commemorative plaque as the director of the Association for the Study of Afro-American Life and History, Dr. Rupert J. Picott and others looked on.) Now, as a result of legislation enacted in 2003, Dr. Woodson’s home was established as a National Historic Site and visitor attraction operated by the U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service. Dr. Woodson’s home is the 389th site in the National Park System, and it is one of the over 19 sites expressly dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of African American history. For more information, please visit the National Park Service website.
Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton was instrumental in championing the concept of establishing Dr. Woodson’s home as a National Historic Site. ASALH thanks for her stalwart support and assistance in protecting this national treasure.
If you are interested in being added to the NPS mailing list please contact NACE_Superintendent@