Dear ASALH Member:
The Nominating Committee of ASALH seeks nominations for the Executive Council, Class of 2021, and Executive Officers of The Association as follows: President, Vice President for Programs, Vice President for Membership, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Executive Council and the Executive Officers set the policy direction for ASALH and are responsible for carrying out the mission of the organization and ensuring its fiscal soundness. A new class of eight members is elected to the Executive Council each year. Executive Officers of the Association serve three-year terms. All candidates for the Executive Council must hold an active membership in ASALH.
Nominations are due by April 13, 2018, in the ASALH office—Mail to: Howard Center, 2225 Georgia Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20059. Nominations may be sent electronically to the Co-Chairs of the Nominating Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and to the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject heading “Executive Council Nominations.”
Criteria for Executive Council Membership includes the following requirements.
• Attendance at an orientation meeting in February during the first Executive Council meeting of the year. [New members will be informed of the duties and responsibilities of each committee.]
• A member in good andianding and paying into a life membership. If already a life member, required to contribute annually at the Heritage donation level. Executive Council members must hold a current membership in ASALH.
• Attendance at his/her own expense, to at least two of the following Executive Council meetings in February (in Washington, DC), June (in Washington, DC), and September in the location of the annual meeting of the Association.
• Attendance on a minimum of two conference calls as needed to conduct Executive Council business between the three in person meetings.
• Support of the Black History Luncheon in Washington, DC by attending and/or selling tickets and securing advertisements for the program journal.
• Contributions of at least $1300 a year. ($300 for Annual Black History Luncheon and an additional requirement of at least $1,000 by the June Executive Council Meeting each year in support of the Association’s Annual Fund – totaling $1300.)
Note: Seeking scholars/historians willing to support the development and distribution of the Black History Month Theme products. Also seeking individuals with the ability to generate corporate and community partnerships to further the mission and vision of ASALH. Interested persons should submit a Nominations form. Thank you for your continued support of ASALH.
Mrs. Barbara Spencer Dunn and Dr. Janet Sims-Wood,
Co-Chairs ASALH Nominating Committee