Dear ASALH Member:
The Nominating Committee of The Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) seeks nominations for the Executive Council, class of 2024, and, for the Executive Officers of the Association as follows: President, Vice President for Programs, Vice President for Membership, Secretary, and Treasurer. Nominations may be sent electronically to the Co-chairs of the Nominating Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the Executive Director at email@example.com under the heading Executive Council Nominations and must be received by April 15, 2021.
The Executive Council and the Executive Officers set the policy direction for ASALH and are responsible for carrying out the mission of the organization and ensuring its fiscal soundness. Executive Officers and Executive Council members serve three-year terms.
Criteria for Executive Council Members:
- A member in good standing and paying into a life membership. If the person is already a life
member, he/she will contribute at the Heritage level.
- A member who contributes at least $1300 a year ($300 to support the Black History
Luncheon/Celebration, and an additional $1000 by the June meeting, in support of the Association’s
- A member who has the time and the technical capacity to serve on the Executive Council. Serving
means attending monthly virtual meetings, participating in committee work, and attending the
three formal Executive Council meetings in February, June, and September.
- A member who can generate corporate and community partnerships to further the mission and the
vision of ASALH.
- A member with background and skills in education, at any level, who can develop material for the
Association’s programs and publications.
- A member who will be able to participate in orientation events in November 2021.
Criteria for Executive Officers – President, Vice-President for Programs and Vice President for
- Include the criteria above for the members of the Executive Council.
- They shall be dedicated persons who have been deeply involved in the affairs of the
- They shall have been members of the Association for, at least, five years immediately
preceding the election.
- They shall have attended two of the previous annual meetings.
Criteria for Executive Officers: Treasurer and Secretary
The same as criteria for the Executive Council.
Interested members should submit a completed Nominations Form (below) or download a pdf here.
Thank you for your continued support of ASALH.
Annette Palmer and Natanya Duncan,
Co-Chairs, ASALH Nominating Committee